Manufacturing Operations Support Manager
Position: Not specified
Start: As soon as possible
End: Not specified
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Method of collaboration: Project only
Hourly rate: Not specified
Latest update: Nov 20, 2023
Task description and requirements
Why work for Lafarge?
As the global leader in innovative and sustainable building materials, we’re committed to shaping a greener , smarter and healthier world. At Lafarge Canada Inc., safety comes first, collaboration matters and diversity is celebrated with people who share our desire to continually make our materials better.
Do you have the drive, the skills, and the passion to join us?
Reporting to the Operations Manager GVA RMX West, the Operations Support Manager assists in leading and coordinating activities between a team of Plant Managers responsible for the Metro Vancouver Ready Mix business. This i nclud es the planning, coordinating and supervising of the concrete plants within the area to achieve all targets, budgets, objectives and goals while maintaining a safe work environment.
The Metro Vancouver Operations Support Manager works with the Plant Management team to ensure the seamless interaction of the individual departments of safety, logistics, production, maintenance, sales and quality. The Operations Support Manager will act as the central role between the various internal departments in order to manage the day‐to‐day supply to active projects.
- Promotes a positive safety culture through leadership by example; performs all work activities following all relevant safety policies and procedures
- Ensure all Plant Managers take full responsibility for all Health and Safety concerns and the implementation of Company policies
- Directly manage and lead employees, specifically Plant Managers and indirectly support with Management of Plant Operators and Ready‐Mix Drivers.
- Daily interaction with and development of Plant Managers and Superintendents
- Travels as needed to meet with Ready‐Mix Drivers to ensure management visibility
- Interacts directly with CCLC Manager to ensure fluid communication and execution of production and delivery.
- Interacts directly with GVA Fleet and Maintenance Manager to ensure effective use of mobile equipment including ready mix trucks, loaders, telehandlers etc.
- Assists the Field Operations Supervisor in safety initiatives, claims management and audit
- Utilizes the Quality department to ensure product compliance through production and delivery
- Communicates effectively with Human Resources, Labour Relations and Payroll departments to ensure personnel needs are met
- Interacts with Sales Manager to ensure customer needs are forecasted and met daily, weekly and
- Responsible for financial results and Operational key performance indicators
- Acts as main representative of relationship with Labour Union, Teamsters 213 and improvements both financially and in terms of employee engagement with participation in labour negotiations
- Acts as main business representative to matters of the public including City/District topics and public
- Continuous improvement of safety results and standards of expectation
- Manages change through managers, supervisors and front‐line staff
- Sets and monitors Operations Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- Delivery cost management, reducing Operational costs of delivery both on site and within plants.
- Production cost management, effective management of inventories and plant assets and effective daily maintenance of equipment and plants.
- Matrix reporting structure to Operations Manager GVA RMX
- Indirectly manage and coordinate topics with 6 Plant Managers and Superintendents
- Indirectly supervise all production and delivery personnel (130+ union hourly employees)
- Works closely with GVA ready mix senior management team (Operations Manager, Fleet Maintenance Manager, Sales Manager, Customer Care Logistics Manager, Quality Manager, Finance Manager, Field Operations Supervisor and Plant Maintenance and Projects Manager).
- Works closely with raw material suppliers including Cement, Aggregates and Admixtures
Education and Work Experience:
- Post Secondary Diploma or University degree an asset
- Minimum of 3 years of management/supervisory experience
- Experience in construction materials environment considered an asset
- Experience in a unionized environment required
- Demonstrated strong application user skills for MS Office Suite of products including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint at high level
- Demonstrated strong application user skills for Google Office Suite of products including Gmail, Sheets, Docs and Slides at high level
- Experience with Data Analysis and Analytics considered an asset
- Proficiency in inventory management
- Familiarity with agile and lean methodologies
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with high degree of accuracy
- Strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated strong problem solving skills; a self‐starter
- Proven ability to multitask in a fast‐paced environment
- Strong time management skills essential
- Independent thinker
- Ability to negotiate skilfully in tough situations without damaging relationships
- Highly motivated, able to quickly build and maintain positive working relationships
- Ability to maintain composure in dealing with difficult situations; demonstrates positive customer service attitude
- Strong ability to mentor and coach team members
- High level of ambition and energy to drive for results
- Leadership Skills
- Strategic Thinking
- Problem Solving
- Analytical Skills
- Communication Skills
- Resource Management
- Quality Control
- Supply Chain Management
- Time Management
As part of our dedicated focus on the health and safety of all employees, a pre-employment medical, including drug and alcohol testing and a criminal record check, may be required.
As we are reinventing the way the world builds, we need world-class talent to join our Lafarge Canada team: people who are passionate , driven by curiosity and keen to grow , learn, develop and thrive in our high-performance culture.
Whatever you do, you will make a difference here. Because we know that your passion and curiosity are the natural resources the world needs.
Check out our YouTube channel to learn more about our operations and see all career opportunities at www.lafarge.ca/careers .
We thank you for your interest. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Lafarge is committed to the principles of employment equity and encourages the applications from women, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities.